How to open COBOL file?
The software referred to as COBOL Opener allows you to freely work with COBOL files, including opening their contents. If you have the appropriate software installed on your device, opening the COBOL file should be done without any problems by double-clicking on the file's icon. After clicking, your COBOL file should open in the program that is assigned as default for handling COBOL files on your device. Sometimes, however, various problems arise, below you will find the instructions that you should follow.
9 steps to open COBOL file
The following recommendations and steps will help you open the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file in case you cannot do it in the standard way:
- Check if the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file can be handled by the given operating system. If the user tries to open the file Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format on a system other than Windows, it may fail.
- Check if the ACUCOBOL-GT or program is installed in the system. If there is no application that supports files with the extension COBOL, it should be downloaded and installed on the system.
- Make sure that one of the ACUCOBOL-GT, programs is the default application for opening COBOL files in the system. If not, open the dialog box with the properties of the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file and use the "Change" button on the "General" tab. On the list, search for one of the ACUCOBOL-GT, applications and confirm.
Software programs that open COBOL file extension
- If the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file has been downloaded from the Internet or copied from another medium, it may be corrupt. The ACUCOBOL-GT, programs will then not be able to open the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file. If possible, you can try to open the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file directly from its source.
- If it turns out that the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file contains a virus, it will usually be impossible to open it. In this situation, it is recommended to scan all data media in the system for viruses.
- The Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file may be saved in a way that is no longer supported. Sometimes it happens that despite the COBOL extension, such files contain data saved in a way that prevents them from being opened by ACUCOBOL-GT or .
- The condition for the correct handling of the Micro-Focus Cobol Data Format file may be the regular download and installation of the application update in which the user wants to open it. In this case, it is necessary to verify the version of your software to handle COBOL files and, if necessary, update it to the latest version.
- Sometimes the user unknowingly tries to open a file with a shortcut that points to a place where the file is no longer there (it may have been previously deleted).
- The reason that prevents the opening of a given file may be administrative restrictions defined to protect the system by its administrator.
You've followed the instructions above and still haven't opened your COBOL file? In this case, you can use the solutions offered by various websites. Below are the websites we have verified that may help you open the COBOL file.
Copy and paste this link anywhere.