How to open GZ file?
GZ Opener is a type of software that can open a file with the extension GZ. Usually, there are also additional options. The first thing you should check is that you have the software to handle the GZ file installed. After clicking, your GZ file should open in the program that is assigned as default for handling GZ files on your device. Sometimes, however, various problems arise, below you will find the instructions that you should follow.
How to open GZ file? 9 steps
In case it is not possible to open the Gnu Zipped Archive file without additional steps, follow the steps below
- Check if the Gnu Zipped Archive file can be handled by the given operating system. Files with the GZ extension may not be supported by the operating system you are using.
- Make sure that the default application for the files GZ, The Unarchiver or one of the following PeaZip, WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR is installed in the operating system. If there is no application that supports files with the extension GZ, it should be downloaded and installed on the system.
- Verify that the default application for handling GZ files is one of the following software tools: The Unarchiver, PeaZip, WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR. If this is not the case, you should manually set the program, preferably by editing the properties of the Gnu Zipped Archive file and displaying the applications available on the system that allow you to open it. Choose one of the The Unarchiver, PeaZip, WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR applications to open the GZ files.
Software programs that open GZ file extension
- If the Gnu Zipped Archive file has been downloaded from the Internet or copied from another medium, it may be corrupt. In this case, although one of the The Unarchiver, PeaZip, WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR programs is installed, the Gnu Zipped Archive file cannot be opened. If possible, you can try to open the Gnu Zipped Archive file directly from its source.
- In case the Gnu Zipped Archive file is infected, the anti-virus program will prevent it from being opened. The best solution in this case is to run a virus scanner and check the system for viruses.
- Gnu Zipped Archive is a file that may have been generated by older program versions. In this case, you may find that the newer version of the application does not support this older format.
- The condition for the correct handling of the Gnu Zipped Archive file may be the regular download and installation of the application update in which the user wants to open it. Determine the version of your program and, if necessary, install the latest one.
- In some cases, the user initiates the opening of the file with a shortcut that leads to a location where it is not present.
- The reason that prevents the opening of a given file may be administrative restrictions defined to protect the system by its administrator.
If, after performing the above steps, you still have problems opening the GZ file, you can try using some tools available on the web. The list below presents web pages that specialize in opening GZ files.
Copy and paste this link anywhere.