How to open DDS file?
The software referred to as DDS Opener allows you to freely work with DDS files, including opening their contents. The first thing you should do is double-click the DDS file icon you want to open. If you have the correct software your problem should be resolved. After clicking on the DDS file icon, the operating system should open its content with the associated software. However, the problem is not always solved so quickly. Follow the steps of the instructions below to try to solve it.
How to open DDS file? 9 steps
In case it is not possible to open the DirectDraw Surface file without additional steps, follow the steps below
- The user must verify that the operating system used by him is compatible with the file DirectDraw Surface. It may turn out that DDS files are not compatible with your system.
- Check if the Orbiter or XnView, NVIDIA Texture Tools, NVIDIA DDS Thumbnail Viewer, Paint.NET program is installed in the system. If there is no such program, install it (or download it earlier).
- Check if files with the extension DDS are associated with the application Orbiter or one of the programs such as XnView, NVIDIA Texture Tools, NVIDIA DDS Thumbnail Viewer, Paint.NET. If not, open the dialog box with the properties of the DirectDraw Surface file and use the "Change" button on the "General" tab. The system will display a window with applications to choose from, from which you should select one of the Orbiter, XnView, NVIDIA Texture Tools, NVIDIA DDS Thumbnail Viewer, Paint.NET programs.
Software programs that open DDS file extension
- If the DirectDraw Surface file has been downloaded from the Internet or copied from another medium, it may be corrupt. In this case, although one of the Orbiter, XnView, NVIDIA Texture Tools, NVIDIA DDS Thumbnail Viewer, Paint.NET programs is installed, the DirectDraw Surface file cannot be opened. If possible, you can try to open the DirectDraw Surface file directly from its source.
- The antivirus program can identify the virus with which the DirectDraw Surface file has been infected and at the same time blocks the opening of the file. The best solution in this case is to run a virus scanner and check the system for viruses.
- The DirectDraw Surface file may be saved in a way that is no longer supported. In this case, you may find that the newer version of the application does not support this older format.
- The condition for the correct handling of the DirectDraw Surface file may be the regular download and installation of the application update in which the user wants to open it. Determine the version of your program and, if necessary, install the latest one.
- In some cases, the user initiates the opening of the file with a shortcut that leads to a location where it is not present.
- The reason that prevents the opening of a given file may be administrative restrictions defined to protect the system by its administrator.
You've followed the instructions above and still haven't opened your DDS file? In this case, you can use the solutions offered by various websites. Below are the websites we have verified that may help you open the DDS file.
Copy and paste this link anywhere.