How to open MSI file?
MSI Opener is a type of software that can open a file with the extension MSI. Usually, there are also additional options. The first thing you should check is that you have the software to handle the MSI file installed. If the appropriate software is on your operating system, the file should open in the associated application when you click it. However, if an error occurred while opening the file, you can try to fix it by following the instructions below in turn.
How to open MSI file? 9 steps
In case it is not possible to open the Windows Installer Package file without additional steps, follow the steps below
- The user must verify that the operating system used by him is compatible with the file Windows Installer Package. Files with the MSI extension may not be supported by the operating system you are using.
- No default Windows Installer XML application in the system or Microsoft Windows, 7-Zip, Windows Installer will prevent you from opening MSI files. If there is no application that supports files with the extension MSI, it should be downloaded and installed on the system.
- Check if files with the extension MSI are associated with the application Windows Installer XML or one of the programs such as Microsoft Windows, 7-Zip, Windows Installer. If this is not the case, you should manually set the program, preferably by editing the properties of the Windows Installer Package file and displaying the applications available on the system that allow you to open it. Choose one of the Windows Installer XML, Microsoft Windows, 7-Zip, Windows Installer applications to open the MSI files.
Software programs that open MSI file extension
- If the Windows Installer Package file has been downloaded from the Internet or copied from another medium, it may be corrupt. In this case, although one of the Windows Installer XML, Microsoft Windows, 7-Zip, Windows Installer programs is installed, the Windows Installer Package file cannot be opened. Re-downloading or copying the file may fix the problem.
- The antivirus program can identify the virus with which the Windows Installer Package file has been infected and at the same time blocks the opening of the file. Such a situation should not be underestimated and such a file should be deleted or moved to quarantine, and the entire system should be scanned.
- The Windows Installer Package file may be saved in a way that is no longer supported. Sometimes it happens that despite the MSI extension, such files contain data saved in a way that prevents them from being opened by Windows Installer XML or Microsoft Windows, 7-Zip, Windows Installer.
- An attempt to open the Windows Installer Package file by an un-updated application may fail. Determine the version of your program and, if necessary, install the latest one.
- Sometimes the user unknowingly tries to open a file with a shortcut that points to a place where the file is no longer there (it may have been previously deleted).
- The reason that prevents the opening of a given file may be administrative restrictions defined to protect the system by its administrator.
If, despite going through all the steps, it was not possible to open the file with the MSI extension, you can try some of the proposed tools. The list below presents web pages that specialize in opening MSI files.
Copy and paste this link anywhere.