How to open RTF file?
A RTF Opener is a computer program or application that supports RTF files and can open their contents. If you have the appropriate software installed on your device, opening the RTF file should be done without any problems by double-clicking on the file's icon. After clicking on the RTF file icon, the operating system should open its content with the associated software. However, if an error occurred while opening the file, you can try to fix it by following the instructions below in turn.
How to open RTF file? 9 steps
The following recommendations and steps will help you open the Rich Text Format file in case you cannot do it in the standard way:
- Check if the Rich Text Format file can be handled by the given operating system. Files with the RTF extension may not be supported by the operating system you are using.
- Check if the SoftMaker Office or Microsoft Word, WordPerfect Office, WordPad, LibreOffice program is installed in the system. If there is no application that supports files with the extension RTF, it should be downloaded and installed on the system.
- Verify that the default application for handling RTF files is one of the following software tools: SoftMaker Office, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect Office, WordPad, LibreOffice. If this is not the case, the RTF files should be associated with the appropriate application by displaying the properties of the Rich Text Format file and in the "File type" section, press the "Change" button. On the list, search for one of the SoftMaker Office, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect Office, WordPad, LibreOffice applications and confirm.
Software programs that open RTF file extension
- If the Rich Text Format file has been downloaded from the Internet or copied from another medium, it may be corrupt. The SoftMaker Office, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect Office, WordPad, LibreOffice programs will then not be able to open the Rich Text Format file. If possible, you can try to open the Rich Text Format file directly from its source.
- The antivirus program can identify the virus with which the Rich Text Format file has been infected and at the same time blocks the opening of the file. The best solution in this case is to run a virus scanner and check the system for viruses.
- Check that the Rich Text Format file format is not outdated. In this case, you may find that the newer version of the application does not support this older format.
- To open the Rich Text Format file, the current version of the program in which we want to open it is required. Determine the version of your program and, if necessary, install the latest one.
- Sometimes the user unknowingly tries to open a file with a shortcut that points to a place where the file is no longer there (it may have been previously deleted).
- The system administrator has restricted the opening and modification of certain files, which in this case may include Rich Text Format.
If, after performing the above steps, you still have problems opening the RTF file, you can try using some tools available on the web. The list below presents web pages that specialize in opening RTF files.
Copy and paste this link anywhere.